1.01.2006

New Years

Yunha and I headed out to a popular area of Seoul for New Years eve.

We started out in Myeong-dong and made our way into Jongno. Supposedly, this is the most popular area for New Years eve. We saw a report on the news saying there were 100,000 people there for the celebration. There is a massive bell in this area that is rung at the midnight.


It's difficult to tell from these photos but, on this street were thousands of people shooting off Roman candles over a newly restored stream (can't remember the name) that runs through Seoul. We bought some as well and shot them off together.


Standing behind a stage. This streets was lit up with holiday lights in addition to the normal shine of neons.


Again, it's difficult to tell but, this street was closed off from traffic and packed shoulder-to-shoulder with Koreans celebrating the coming of 2006. Coming from a relatively small city like St. Louis, it never fails to amaze me how many people live in Seoul.


A blurry shot of the side of a skyscraper wishing everyone luck in the new year. The lights of this giant sign were flashing so I had to time the taking of the picture to get all the lights lit up.


Again, blurry. I'm not sure if this is due to my camera progressively getting worse or that all of the lights made it made it hard to focus or, more than likely, a combination of both.


Oh, the contrast! We wandered on some back streets seeking a quiet place where I could relieve myself and stumbled upon this entrance to what I can only assume is a restaurant or private residence. It's sounds cliche but I love shots like these because it really shows how Seoul is a combination of traditional and modern life.

Before midnight we made our way to a hotel and paid an outrageously high-price for a tiny room and watched the New Year's celebration on television. Though we were so close to the party that we watched the fireworks on TV but, could hear them through the open window.

Tomorrow I start my hellish winter intensive schedule. Also, I have a weeks vacation this month but, I haven't decided what to do yet.

No comments: