7.20.2005

Bucheon International Film Fest

Sunday I headed to Bucheon to meet Yunha. When I stepped off the train she suprised me with a guide to The 9th Bucheon International Fantastic Film Festival. I'd known about this festival before and had casually asked Yunha to find out when it was, but she, of course, went a little further.

Popular Music












Flipping through the book, we found a showing later in the evening of a Swedish film called Popular Music. It turned out to be fantastic. Throughout the screening of the film the audience alternatley laughed, gasped and cringed in unison. It was one of those rare movies where the entire audience applauded when the film finished. Little films like this in settings like this always remind me what it is that I love so much about going to movies.

However, the highlight of the festival for me was not the film, but the enjoyment I found in reading the utterly horrible English descriptions of the films in the guide book. In a country like Korea where there are hundreds of thousands of native English-speakers teaching English, it is beyond me why companies and events don't hire a native speaker to do the English translations. I would think they would be embarassed by the poor Englsih, especially for an event calling itself an International Film Festival, but I guess not. There are hundreds of examples from the book but I'll only give a few.

First Time











First Time

She becomes a producer of a travel channel with hiding himself who imagine it, meet a choosy artist.

What?!?!?

Rottweiller

Dante breaks out of prison. His dog, Rott, a devilish homicide who eats human flesh with his awful teeth, follows him. It will be good if you find you the deep intention, you can enjoy a scene of cruel carnage.

The Nomi Song

Diva? Alien? Or a pantomimist who dance electric boogie? No! No! No! All of them are wrong. You can feel pathetic, awe and touching than in any film. Let's follow the film is more than film!!

I have no idea what this film is about, but I'd be pissed if I made it and this was the description given. My favorite part is the two exclamation points at the end.

Strange Crimes

Daniel is a writer who uses pseudonym. At his stepson's wedding, he has one night stand with beautiful woman. The love affair which can be over but give a hint of tragic end with the fact that she is stepson's bride. The woman breaks Daniel heart with a steady temptaion. Her friends watch the tragedy with odd smile. His wife and stepson are jealous. While the secret between Daniel and his friend who was suicide, their relationship run up to extreme.

Wait! His friend was suicide?

There are many, many more...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

His friend was suicide!! I like that. Sounds like a song lyric.

It is kinda funny how the translation for films get done. I know there was a big stink when the first Lord of the Rings film came out because the translation into Japanese (at least I think it was Japanese)was so horrible. But you're right: especially in asian countries where there are hundreds of thousands of people doing what you are doing, you'd think it wouldn't be that hard (especially for a major film like LOTR, but even for a smaller film like you saw at the festival) to get a decent translation.