7.21.2005

Heat

The temperature in Seoul is hovering around four thousand degrees right now and the air quality must be two hundred percent smog. So, stepping out of my apartment is akin to stepping into a sauna with an idling car parked inside. In other words, it's miserable.

I've always assumed that I sweat more than the average person, but being in Korea takes this to a whole new level. Not only is the heat unbearable, but I'm surrounded by an entire race of people who wouldn't sweat on the surface of the sun. This becomes especially amusing as I make my way to work each morning. You see, someone had the genius idea to install what appear to be greenhouse panels on the roof of the subway station in Sanbon. So, after I've walked the short distance to the subway, climbed up the long ramp, and proceed up two flights of stairs I emerge, already half wet, into the sweltering hell that is Sanbon station. There I stand, rivers of sweat streaming from every inch of my body, as Koreans marvel at this wonderful freak of nature that is the sweaty foreigner. Often I take refuge behind a little building on the platform, the only place out of direct sunlight, or I stretch and groan, feigning that I've just returned from the gym. Once the subway train arrives I'm granted a short reprieve as the Seoul Subway is mercifully air-conditioned. However, my relief is short lived for after two quick stops I'm forced off the subway and made to stand in the blazing sun and await a bus, which may or may not be equipped with air-conditioning.

Needless to say, by the time I arrive at work I'm soaked in sweat, my clothes have gone from freshly pressed to damp and musty, but most importantly my hair is a mess.

Anyway, all of this is soon to be a moot point for not only will the hot season fade, but I'll be leaving my job in the near future. I've been conflicted with the decision to leave as I've truly enjoyed my current school and hate to mess up a good situation. However, what Koreans refer to as "Seoul Disease" has severely afflicted me as well as the desire to move out of my cockroach infested cell of an apartment. My decision was made mildly easier the other day by news from my favorite student that at the end of July his family will be moving and he will no longer attend my class. It's strange how something like this can affect you. However this is a student I've taught since my first day at the school and not only have I seen him progress, but he's undoubtedly the funniest 10 year old on the planet. I wasn't looking forward to having another teacher come in and get their grimy paws on him, but now that I know he's leaving it's all the more reason for me to do the same.

No comments: