9.13.2005

Day six


I've been having a good time at home. Friday night I drank a lot of soju with my dad and his neighbor. Saturday I went to a parade with my sister, her husband and my niece. Then Saturday night we had a game night with a couple of friends. Sunday afternoon I went to a friends house to watch the first Ram's game of the season. They lost, barely, but, it was fun to sit around and watch football nonetheless. Now, with the new week starting it's time to get to work on getting things together for Korea. I emailed the job I'm really hoping to get and they won't have an answer until the 16th. I really hate sitting around and waiting.

On a less happy note, I started going through the boxes I have stored at my parents house because I wanted to bring my DVD's back to Korea with me. However, when I found the box my DVD's were stored in, there were no DVD's. It seems my cousin, who was living at my parents house, stole them and more than likely pawned them. I don't remember exactly how many DVD's I had but, it was near thirty. A lot of them were rare and specially ordered, so obviously I'm not to happy about it.

I swear the following story is 100% real. Before I moved to Korea I knew a guy in St. Louis who always reminded me of the Chris Rock skit about guys being addicted to strip clubs (it's on one of his HBO specials, not sure which one). This guy was a decent looking guy in the face, but quite large around the waist. Anyway, he spent the majority of his time not working at strip clubs and was without a doubt the least motivated person I've ever met. At one point I discussed with him the possibility of getting him hired on at my company. Had he gotten the position it would have been a big leap for him both in terms of money and prestige. He was excited about it and after two hours to think it over he came to me and said, with a serious look on his face, that if he got the job he would finally buy a gold membership to the Diamond Club (a strip club). This shows you the level of priority in his life.

Anyway, I ran into this guy last week and after some brief chit-chat about what I've been doing and how I like Korea, he mentioned that he got a new tattoo. He lifted up his sleeve and showed me a tattoo of a girls face with her hair flowing all around her head on his right bicep. I asked him what it was and he told me it was just an illustration by some artist he was a fan of. Fair enough, right? As I started to walk away, he said "It's a great way to get girls". Again, fair enough. I don't have any tattoos myself, but I know there are girls who like them. However, what he said next floored me: "I tell them it's my little sister and that she died last year. Or it's my dead fiancee." Now, at first I thought he was kidding, but there was no smile on his face only the look of a guy who finally figured out how to meet girls. I asked him why he didn't just be himself and he said because when he's himself he's mostly an asshole. I'll say.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Americans.......